Activism & Equity
800A Bar & Cabaret, together with Instant Theatre Berlin and Instant Improv Berlin are dedicated to increasing the diversity of voices on Berlin's stages. All of our staff and students agree to a Code of Conduct before working or taking classes with us, and we will happily remove customers who are engaging in any kind of intolerance or harassment.
Instant Theatre and Instant Improv also offer two free-of-charge spots in each class for members of under-represented groups or marginalized communities. For more information please see the Instant Theatre and Instant Improv websites.
We are also happy to give our space to activist groups looking for meeting space during the day, and to host fundraiser evenings. In the past we've hosted events for Mediterranea Saving Humans, Hydra e.V. and the Black Sex Workers' Collective.
Please note that our venue is not wheelchair accessible. Sadly, the doorways are all in load-bearing walls and cannot be widened.
When We Fall Short
If a member of our community or Staff violates the Code of Conduct or otherwise makes you feel unsafe, you may take any or all of the following steps:
1. Let a(nother) member of Staff know directly. You may also use the following code-words (h/t: karada-house.de):
a. "Yellow" = "Please keep an eye on this person." Someone makes you feel uncomfortable (e.g. staring, too close, etc.), your gut feeling tells you something isn't right. We won't judge you, we'll trust you and keep an eye on the person. We will witness with and/or for you. You may choose to engage with this person or not.
b. "Orange" = "Something has happened that can be interpreted as non-consensual or inappropriate behaviour but may fall within the "gray area" where it *could* be interpreted otherwise (e.g. misunderstanding). It makes you feel very uncomfortable. Don‘t question your intuition. Come to us. We will talk to the person and tell them that their behaviour makes others uncomfortable. We request that they stop engaging in any interactions immediately to reconsider and change their behaviour. Otherwise they will be removed from the space. You stop engaging with this person.
C. "Red" = A clear cut violation of the Code of Conduct, consent, and/or boundaries. We immediately remove this person from the space. An accountability process will be initiated a few days later.
2. Let us know at email@example.com
3.. Let us know anonymously by using the Feedback box on this page, below.
What Will Happen Then:
Our Staff will take appropriate immediate action as needed possibly including:
1. Removing the person from the premises or sending the Staff member home.
2. Calling you a taxi or arranging for an escort to public transit.
3. Involving the police (only with your consent).
We will, in consultation with you where possible, take additional action as needed, possibly including:
1. Requiring an apology, in person or on this website, acknowledging the harm caused and detailing the steps the person will take to ensure it doesn't happen again.
2. Exclusion of the member from the community, either temporarily or permanently.
3. Requiring the Staff member to take an anti-oppression class.
4. A written warning in the Staff member's personnel file.